Iowa’s legislative session begins today. One Iowa Action, the affiliated advocacy arm of statewide LGBTQ organization One Iowa, is encouraging LGBTQ Iowans and allies to get involved in Iowa’s political process this session. The organization will host LGBTQ Day on the Hill on Tuesday, January 30 to provide LGBTQ Iowans and allies with a concentrated day of action.
“Our state has a strong legacy of equality, but some Iowans want to strip that legacy away from LGBTQ people,” One Iowa Action Executive Director Daniel Hoffman-Zinnel said. “It’s critical for LGBTQ Iowans and allies to come together and show legislators that this is not an option. By speaking to legislators at LGBTQ Day on the Hill, LGBTQ Iowans and allies will personalize these issues and show them their actions impact real people in our state.”
LGBTQ Day on the Hill schedule:
- 8:30 a.m. – 9 a.m.: Registration and Material Pick-Up at the Henry A. Wallace Building
- 9 a.m. – 11 a.m.: “Talking to Your Legislator” Training
- 11 a.m. – 12 p.m.: March to the Capitol and Lunch
- 12 p.m. – 12:30 p.m.: Rally in the Rotunda (speakers announced soon)
- 12:30 p.m. – 3 p.m.: Meetings with Legislators
Those wishing to attend LGBTQ Day on the Hill can register to receive printed materials and a One Iowa Action t-shirt here.
A press box will be available during the rally in the rotunda at noon.