One Iowa Action, the affiliated advocacy arm of statewide LGBTQ organization One Iowa will host LGBTQ Day on the Hill on Wednesday, February 27 to provide LGBTQ Iowans and allies with a concentrated day of action to get involved in Iowa’s political process.
“Our state has a strong legacy of equality, but some lawmakers want to strip that legacy away from LGBTQ people,” One Iowa Action Executive Director Daniel Hoffman-Zinnel said. “It’s critical for LGBTQ Iowans and allies to come together and show legislators that this is not an option. By speaking to legislators at LGBTQ Day on the Hill, LGBTQ Iowans and allies will personalize these issues and show them their actions impact real people in our state.”
LGBTQ Day on the Hill schedule:
- 9 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.: Registration and Material Pick-Up at the State of Iowa Historical Building
- 9:30 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.: “Talking to Your Legislator” Training
- Lindsey Clark, Human Rights Campaignsenior regional field organizer
- Keenan Crow, One Iowa Action director of policy and advocacy
Sen. Zach Nunn will address attendees at 10 a.m.
Sen. Zach Wahls will address attendees, time to be determined.
- 11:30 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.: March to the Capitol and Lunch
- 12:30 p.m. – 1:30 p.m.: Rally in the Rotunda
- Liz Bennett, first out LGBTQ woman in the Iowa Legislature
- Ras Smith, representative for House District 62
- Cecilia Martinez, One Iowa Action board member
- Aime Wichtendahl, Iowa’s first out transgender elected official, Hiawatha City Council member
- Sophia Stone, Transformations Iowa president
- Norio Umezu Hall, One Iowa Action board member and Iowa Coalition Against Sexual Assault publications specialist for the Resource Sharing Project
- Sam Brinton, The Trevor Project head of advocacy and government affairs
- Daniel Hoffman-Zinnel, One Iowa Action executive director
1:30 p.m. – 3 p.m.: Meetings with Legislators
A press box will be available during the rally in the rotunda at 12:30 p.m.